Free school meals are not provided automatically. Your child/ren are entitled to free school meals if you are in one of the categories below.
Your child/ren are entitled to free school meals if you are in one of the following:
- You receive Income Support
- You receive Job Seeker’s Allowance (income-based)
- You receive Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
- You get support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- You receive the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit
- You are entitled to Child Tax Credit
- You receive Universal Credit
(You are entitled to Child Tax Credit if your family’s annual income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) is not more than £16,190. Anyone receiving Working Tax Credit is not entitled to Free School Meals regardless of their income unless you have become unemployed in which case free meals can be granted for a four week period only.)
How do I apply?
Complete a printable PDF form (FM1) and return it either to Ratton School reception addressed to -
Or by email to -
Reviewing your application
Once entitlement is established, free school meals are continuous unless we are notified of a change in your circumstances. It is your responsibility to notify us of any changes that may affect your entitlement to free school meals.
Part time students
Part time students are not entitled to free school meals. Children who qualify must be receiving education before and after the lunch period to be entitled to free school meals.